It would be inaccurate to say that there is a single, foolproof way to avoid car accidents whether they are negligent or not. Even when you always practice safe driving and comply with all the rules of the road, another motorist could crash into your vehicle. Another way to look at the situation is to acknowledge that you can never have control over another person's driving behaviors.
Each state in the nation experiences a vast number of car accidents daily, and Iowa is certainly no exception. While you are wise to think about your safety behind the wheel, there is little sense in becoming overly paranoid. Instead, consider adopting some defensive driving strategies so that you may spot danger ahead of time and reduce or prevent the possibility of suffering car accident injuries.
- Avoid tailgating: Staying a safe distance behind other motorists can protect you should a car accident occur in front of your car.
- Be on the lookout for driver mistakes: Learning to raise your awareness about the vehicles in your immediate area can help you stay prepared for dangerous situations that may arise.
- Avoid speeding: Maintaining a lawful and safe speed will go a long way toward helping you avoid car accidents.
- Look at the big picture: Focusing on the entire roadway, instead of looking only at the car ahead of you, can help you spot danger in all directions.
- Do not succumb to anger: The poor driving behaviors of other motorists are often infuriating. However, it is wiser and safer to let your anger go and stay away from bad drivers.
To those who have already suffered car accident injuries: While you were unable to control the situation that caused you harm, you can control the aftermath. Many people find closure by seeking a legal remedy against negligent and reckless motorists.
Source: Trusted Choice, "Top 20 Defensive Driving Tips to Keep You Safe," accessed Jan. 31, 2018